Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Twisted!


When we were in Trinidad this August for a wedding I twisted my leg and had a meniscus tear on my left knee. It did sound somewhat complicated with a good ring to it apart from the hindrance of the pain and the limp. I was also disappointed that I could not wear my high heels, which I had bought for my holiday and had to carry the weight around our entire trip of 40 days. But it had a lot of advantages – from reserved seats to preferential treatment at the airport. Even back home I loved the attention I got from people on the streets, and shopkeepers who readily offer me a seat, all because I was wearing a knee brace! Autorickshaws would stop with just a signal of my finger, I couldn’t believe it!
My doctor said that it would take a minimum of at least twelve weeks to heal and I would have to be very patient, go for physiotherapy, exercise and take- god knows how many supplements – in the process I do not know of my knee but my skin and hair are getting better! Of course I do not want to talk about my weight, which is also getting better, as I never want to get on the weighing machine!
When I was going for my physiotherapy, my friendly neighborhood auto stopped, eagerly wanting to ferry me for my physio. To my pleasure Rasheed offered to wait and bring me back too! What a stroke of good luck! It has been a habit for a while, I have been asking the names of the auto drivers who take me just to give it a more humane aspect and interact with them not as hired faceless drivers but as real people. So, Rasheed asked me why I spend so much of money every other day to just take some heat treatment, I could do it at home with a hot water bottle. Well, I told him I have to get ultrasonic massage and therapy as well, to which he did not seem too happy and offered a home remedy with a guarantee to heal in 7 days. Here it goes, do try at your on risk as I have not had the courage to try it!!
Mustard oil – ½ cup
Black daal – 2 tbsps
Garlic Juice – 2 tbsps
Black pepper – 10 to 15
Ajwain – 1 tbsp
Ginger juice – 2 tbsps

Boil all of them together and strain them and store in a clean bottle. Every night massage a few drops on your knee and sleep, without washing.
I realized when I would get up in the morning; the stench I would be emanating would make my husband abandon our bedroom and me! Leave alone the fact that I would have to live with a permanent perfume of smells from a Chinese-mughlai takeaway. Regardless to say the ginger- garlic -mustard oil would be my signature perfume like celebrities lending their names to various brands, I would be part of that exclusive club!
I hastily retreated and thanked Rasheed and pray that I do not meet him soon enough for him to ask if his treatment worked! But on a more reassuring note, I am much better and hope to wear my heels soon! But thanks Rasheed, for your deep concern and I am sure it would have worked if I had the nerve to at least try it for 7 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment