Monday, November 14, 2011

Urban Karma


In the course of my numerous journeys in and around Delhi I have taken a lot of rides with so many different auto drivers with an assortment of personality types. Understanding these personalities is like a key to unlocking elusive human qualities. Often friends and family tell me that I am a good listener, so people just want to talk to me and I like to listen to them. Sometimes I empathize with them and try to understand what façade they want to hide behind.
Late one evening, my eldest son and I were traveling by an auto. We were eager to get home after a marathon-shopping spree. The auto driver did not seem to be in any hurry at all. We goaded him to hurry up; doesn’t he have to get home? He started his long story of his unenviable life and predicament at home. He said he never wants to go home. His wife ill-treated him and he was torn between his love for his daughter and decision to leave his wife. He said that his wife was a devil incarnate and even bet him up. He does not get food and many times has to go hungry or eat out. He said he had resigned to this fate. We did not know what to say to this guy, but my son, being very responsive to people’s desperations, prodded him to share his world with us. With this encouragement, the auto driver asked us what he should do in this situation and why all this is happening to him as he is a very peace loving person with lot of compassion for everyone. To my surprise, my worldly-wise son replied that it is all our Karma. We reap what we sow; many times we may be unaware of our actions, which would eventually manifest in our own lives. We should always look inwards. I was surprised at this young boy talking about karma and actions; he went on to say to the auto driver that he should try to talk to his wife and find the reason for this acrimony. It happens often we drown in our sufferings and problems and fail to see the other person’s point of view. Shouldn’t he take his wife out for a movie or an outing? The dreary existence of everyday life and the monotony of the same routine would lead to such irrational aggression. The auto driver was quiet for the rest of the remaining journey. Was he introspecting or was he dissatisfied that we had not also gone along trying to add more fuel to his discontent. Finally when he dropped us he thanked us for listening. Somewhere in his voice I felt he saw his failings. I hope, somewhere it rang the bell and he would take charge of his life and happiness. To meet someone who would share with us his innermost emotions with a hope to find a random solution was very heartening.  
Listening to my son giving practical advise to someone so random lifted my spirits giving me hope that this generation is not indifferent to people’s emotions and problems as much as we would like to believe. 
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.  ~Wayne Dyer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment